Friday, December 29, 2006

Safe and Sound

I arrived in Mangochi about 8:00 last night, ending a three day relatively pain free journey (I did have to survive a 14 hour flight sitting inbetween two babies).

Johnny Sibale (the director of MCV's brother) picked me up in Lilongwe yesterday and we drove 6 hours to Mangochi. I am staying at Chakunja Sibale's house, instead of the guest house as originally planned, b/c the guest house is currently housing some students. Sibale's family is wonderful, and I am happy to stay there. I have my own room and bathroom, and there is even another american staying there for a few months. There are lots of little girls around. (Sibale has three daughters, and has taken in a number of orphans as well) They are always smiling and laughing. Today I came to MCV with Sibale, and Felix the assistant director showed me around. It's great to finally see everything I've learned about for so long.

Two observations on Malawi thus far:

1. The roads are very busy, but not with cars. There are tons of people everywhere you go, walking, biking, selling things, tending goats, etc. The amount of people you see in a country much smaller than ours is really amazing.

2. The roosters do not wait until dawn to cry out. They woke me up in the middle of the night, but were silent at dawn!!

All in all everything's going great so far.

Salini Bwino (stay well)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Conor,
This is great! We are so glad that you are there..and the roosters will become your friends! Don't forget to take the anti malarial...and walk down the road..it's fun!

Tsalani bwino!

Susan and Kevin