Friday, November 02, 2007

Liwonde


Last week saw a plethora of azungu at MCV once again. Board members Bob and Cindy were here along with four other western NYers. I joined them for entertaining games of cards a couple of nights at Palm Beach, and on Monday I skipped school (gasp!) to join them on a trip to Liwonde National Park.

Liwonde is Malawi’s most well known game park (if anything in Malawi can be considered well known), and is only about a two hour drive from Mangochi. We went for a boat game drive in the morning, had some lunch at Mvuu (hippo) Camp, and then went on a 4x4 game drive. We were all impressed with the amount of wildlife we saw, especially on the boat ride. We got to see crocodiles, hippos, warthogs, a few different kinds of antelope, many varieties of birds, and of course, elephants. I was impressed with the size of the crocodiles. I was hoping some would feast on what looked like a buffet of warthogs and antelope on the river bank, but I guess they weren’t hungry.

I think everyone’s highlight was seeing two ndembo (both with heads still attached) out for a swim.

No comments: