Saturday, September 01, 2007

Diani




After leaving Takaungu I continued south to Diani Beach. My commute there was quite fun. I left the volunteer house at Takaungu, took a boda boda (bicycle taxi) 2km to the main road, caught a large bus blaring reggae music to Mombasa, caught a tuk tuk (three wheeled taxi) to the Likoni ferry, took the ferry to Likoni where I caught a matatu to Ukunda, and then another matatu to Diani!

Diani Beach (a place my sister actually didn’t make it to) was absolutely gorgeous. My sister’s friend described it as the best beach she had ever been to. I’d have to say I whole heartedly agree. It’s also supposed to be the place where Brad and Angelina were first spotted together, though something tells me they weren’t staying in the same $10 a night hut that I was. Sadly it once again rained every day, even more than in Malindi. I did get in some beach time in between the rains though, and enjoyed the miles of endless white sand and crystal clear water. I also went to visit the Colobus Trust just down the road from my hut where I got to see some rare Angolan Black and White Colobus monkeys. After two nights at Diani Beachalets I headed back to Mombasa where I caught the night train, (much more comfortable then the bus) back to Nairobi.


pictures: a tuk tuk and matatu in Mombasa, camels waiting for tourists, and sunrise from a little cave on the beach.

No comments: