Tuesday, September 18, 2007

An evening at Palm Beach

Several kids were following me yesterday speaking a lot of Chichewa and Yao that I didn’t understand, but with occasional words I knew. I kept hearing the word mbale, to which I responded:

Siya mbale, Frisbee
Not a plate, Frisbee.

(As some of you know I always have a couple Frisbees on the outside of my backpack.)

Also on my walk home yesterday, I saw a group of boys throwing coconuts way up into a tall palm tree to get coconuts down. They were amazingly talented. They hit their mark every time. About 5 minutes later I ran into a second group of slightly smaller boys attempting to do the same thing. Not so amazing; they could only throw the coconuts to about half the height necessary. Apparently it’s a learned skill.

Later that night, I finally saw a couple Palm Beach hippos! There were two of them right out in front of the beach area. One of them even seemed to think he was a dolphin and sort of jumped out of the water. The local fishermen that were just heading out quickly paddled their boat back to shore. Sorry, no pictures. I didn’t have my camera with me.

No comments: